The dog beds, along with the feeder, is the first product we bought when we adopted a dog. But do we know what is the most appropriate dog bed? What is better a round or square bed? A mattress or a padded bed? There are some parameters that you must follow to select the best dog beds. Therefore, in this article we will answer these and more questions so you know how to choose a bed for your dog.
Steps to follow:
1. The bed of the dog is essential to ensure its integration into the new home, and that it will become his lair, in his corner in the house. Remember that your dog should not sleep in your bed with you, but in his own. This is why the correct choice of your dog’s bed is so important.
2. The size of your dog is an essential aspect when it comes to choosing the best dog beds. Well, it will give you discomfort, and a big one will not give you the security and warmth you need. However, do not look at the size of your dog when it is a puppy, you must take into account its adult size, otherwise, you will have to change the bed.
3. When selecting a dog bed according to its adult size, you will see that the puppy is immense. Do not worry, there is a very simple solution for your puppy to feel protected, and that is to fill the spaces with cushions. This way you will feel comfortable and cozy.
4. Your dog’s sleeping method is as important as its size. Therefore to buy an ideal dog bed, you should see if it sleeps curled up or stretched. When you know it, you will have to measure your dog in the position that I have adopted to sleep, to choose the bed that best suits your needs. How? Very easy. If you sleep curled up, measure from the beginning of the tail to the neck. While doing it, you should do it to the head. In both cases, add 10 cm more per end for greater safety.
6. For dogs that sleep curled up, it is advisable to acquire a dog beds round or square shaped basket, that is, with edges that protect and protect. While for those who adopted a stretched posture, a rectangular mattress is recommended, as it will allow you to stretch as much as you want, without obstructing the edges. Although a rectangular-shaped bed is not a bad option either, as long as it fits perfectly.
7. In all cases, it is recommended that the dog’s bed be padded or if the round basket does not have a padding system, a mattress will be introduced. It is very important that it is as comfortable as possible so that the dog adapts and prefers it, always, instead of on our sofa or bed. Never give a bed without a mattress since it will not rest properly.
8. Hay otras camas con forma de iglú o choza, muy recomendables para perros de razas pequeñas o con tendencia a la frialdad o la inseguridad durante la noche . Este tipo de camas están más protegidas que el resto y evitan el flujo de aire, proporcionando mayor seguridad y manteniendo el calor adecuado en el interior. No tienden a ser muy acolchados, por lo que se complementan con un colchón cómodo.
9. If your dog likes to cover himself during the night to feel more secure, do not forget to place a blanket on the mattress. Or, you have the option of buying a bed that includes a capping system like the one in the picture, taking into account the size and dimensions of your dog.
10. Finally, make sure that the dog bed is removable to facilitate the cleaning task and maintain hygiene properly. And if you want your dog to sleep outside but do not know which house to choose, here is an article with the keys that you should keep in mind.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to choose a bed for my dog, we recommend you to enter our category of Pets.
If you have more than one dog it is advisable that each one has his bed to avoid conflicts between them.